Description: This course consists of lectures to enhance your knowledge of medical professionalism, a writing experience aimed at reflecting on your experiences in both the lectures and clinical settings, and an opportunity to shadow a physician and/or observe in the operating room, intensive care unit or other clinical unit at Houston Methodist hospital. Once enrolled in the spring, students will have the opportunity to review the experiences of past students to select a specialty that closely aligns with your goals and expectations. Please note, matching with physicians will not occur until students begin matriculating in NSCI 399. The physician selection process will be explained during the first class.
The process is below:
NOTE: Space is limited and registration for NSCI 009 DOES NOT GUARANTEE a seat in NSCI 399. In order to be eligible to enroll in NSCI 399, a student must:
1) Register for NSCI 009.
2) Complete all parts of the NSCI 399 Course Application (https://goo.gl/forms/eC55szbmYlewMqTr2) no later than 11:55 pm on Tuesday, November 15, 2016. The applications will be reviewed and matching will occur on a rolling basis, therefore students will be notified of the next steps on an ongoing basis from November 2, 2016 through November 15, 2016. The application can be found here:
Spring 2017 Application
3) Selected students will be invited to begin the Methodist credentialing process. The invitations to the MERLIN credentialing process will be sent on a rolling basis from November 2, 2016 through November 15, 2016.
4) Selected students will complete ALL PARTS of the Methodist training via the MERLIN system by:
• International Students (as defined by OISS) – deadline is December 6, 2016
• US Citizens that will be out of the country for winter break – deadline is December 6, 2016
• US Citizens – deadline is December 16, 2016
(Information and documentation about how to complete the MERLIN training will be made available to the selected students.)
5) If selected for enrollment in NSCI 399, at the beginning of the spring semester, you must drop NSCI 009 and register for a specific section of NSCI 399 (based on shadowing time) via ESTHER before January 13, 2017 at noon.
6) Physician assignments will be determined once the spring semester is underway.
7) In spring 2017, students will attend the lecture and discussions for the entire semester and shadowing will begin in week 7.