Description: This course consists of lectures to enhance your knowledge of medical professionalism, an intense writing experience aimed at reflecting on your experiences in both the lectures and clinical settings, and an opportunity to shadow a physician and/or observe in the operating room, intensive care unit or other clinical unit at Houston Methodist hospital. Once enrolled in the spring, students will have the opportunity to review the experiences of past students to select a specialty that closely aligns with your goals and expectations. Please note, matching with physicians will not occur until students begin matriculating in NSCI 399.
The process is below:
NOTE: Space is limited and registration for NSCI 009 DOES NOT GUARANTEE a seat in NSCI 399. In order to be eligible to enroll in NSCI 399, a student must:
1) Register for NSCI 009.
2) Complete all parts of the NSCI 399 Course Application no later than 11:55 pm on Sunday, April 10, 2016. The applications will be reviewed and matching will occur on a rolling basis, therefore students will be notified of the next steps on an ongoing basis from March 30, 2016 through April 11, 2016. The application can be found at:
3) Selected students will be invited to begin the Methodist credentialing process. The invitations to the MERLIN credentialing process will be sent on a rolling basis from March 30, 2016 through April 11, 2016.
4) Complete ALL PARTS of the Methodist training via the MERLIN system by:
• International Students (as defined by OISS) – deadline is May 4, 2016
• US Citizens that will be out of the country for the summer – deadline is May 4, 2016
• US Citizens – deadline is July 22, 2016
(Information and documentation and how to complete the MERLIN training will be made available to the selected students.)
5) If selected for enrollment in NSCI 399, at the beginning of the fall semester, you must drop NSCI 009 and register for a specific section of NSCI 399 (based on shadowing time) via ESTHER before August 23, 2016 at noon.
6) Physician assignments will be determined once the fall semester is underway.
7) In fall 2016, students will attend the lecture and discussions for the entire semester. The students will shadow in addition to attending the weekly lecture and discussions starting week 8.